The Holy Grail - the "perfect" red lipstick..

One of the most obvious signatures of my style is my obsession with the colour red. I have bright red hair and it is my favourite colour - so much so, that I hardly wear any other colours. My wardrobe is red, black and grey, for the most part.
It should be no surprise, then, to learn that I consider a red lip the staple of my everyday makeup look. I might occasionally fall for a lovely bronze or neutral, but you'll never find me with pink on my lips. For me, it must be red - whether it's a tomato, fire truck, or berry tone depends on my outfit and the season but red is a staple.

Over the years, I have tried out many, many, MANY red lipsticks. I have endured the ones that look red in the tube but turn out orange or pink on the lips. I have seen the ones that look good when first put on, but bleed messily into the lipline, smear and smudge or simply fade away quickly. 

I have searched high and low for a good blue-based-red. Not too pink or orange, a true red that goes on matte, and lasts through a long day.

I am happy to report that my favourite, that's outperformed many expensive brands is a real cheapie. It's from the brand Coral Colours, and it's in many chemists. The colour is called (unimaginatively but accurately) "Scarlet" It retails for well under $10. For my skin tone, it's perfect. 

It's well worth remembering that "budget" brands are worth a look! 

4 comments

  1. I'm completely besotted by MAC Ruby Woo at the moment. Definitely not a 'budget brand' but it's the perfect matte blue-based red, and it lasts through a whole meal, which is pretty spectacular. I still need to see how it goes with making out, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check that out! I do have a MAC red lippy that's very nice, I will have to dig it up and see what colour it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried SO many red lipsticks and none of them look good :(
    Admittedly it's been a few years since I bothered trying, but it is so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lirion! I understand the search can be frustrating! If you can identify what it is you don't like, it might help you find the right one..For instance if they are looking too pink, you might want to try a different tone range. If it is the texture or finish.. Try going lighter with a stain or gloss, or heavier with a matte lipstick.

    If If you are able, you could try going to a big makeup counter, like MAC, and getting them to help you. If you can be clear with them about what you like and don't like about the options they present, they can help you through the maze of products to the right one for you!

    ReplyDelete