Battle of the Reds: Rimmel "Lasting Finish by Kate" Vs Loreal Infallible

Ding Ding! It's fight night! Two lipsticks enter, one lipstick leaves.. Welcome to the THUNDERDOME!
In the red corner we have famous party girl and supermodel Kate Moss, representing Rimmel with her own brand "Lasting Finish by Kate"... 


In the OTHER red corner, we have L'Oreal's "Infallible Rouge" represented by rock-n-roll fashionista, Gwen Stefani.. 

Two high powered superstar spokespeople, two red lipsticks promising great colour and long lasting wear.. which one will reign supreme?

Now you may have read that it's unwise to judge a book by its cover, but we're going to ignore that sage advice and judge the packaging..

"Lasting Finish by Kate" comes in a slick black case with the Rimmel crown logo embossed in the top. There's a "Kate" signature with a love heart on the lid.. cute!

L'Oreal have gone with a very shiny silver case with a transparent lid.. the name "L'Oreal" is carved into the lipstick itself which is a nice touch.. 

Both have a nice weight to them and feel good in the hand.

Black and Red is always going to be my preferred scheme, however, so Rimmel is the clear winner in this category!

Another thing I have to mention about the Rimmel product is its scent. I don't think I have ever really noticed the scent of a lipstick before.. but this one smells really good. It smells like a cherry lipsmacker or something..  fun!

All that's good and well but what really counts is how a lipstick looks ON.. so, let's see..

First up - L'Oreal's Infallible Rouge. Looks red in the tube, goes on a light colour. I was a bit worried, it started to look quite pink, but with a second layer it settled into a nice light tomato colour. It's light and glossy on the lips and feels great on.


And now the contender, "Lasting Finish by Kate". This is very matte and creamy, it goes on strong and is a great blue-red. A real "statement lip". It also has some kind of lip-plumper in it I think, it feels just the tiny bit tingly on the lip. I really like this colour!



Now both of these lipsticks claim to be long-lasting, so I put them to the test with a long day at work, eating, drinking, smooching, talking and generally getting on with things, and I have to say they both lasted the distance really well. I can't fault either of them for their longevity, they pretty much looked the same at the end of the day as they did at the beginning. Two thumbs up!

So.. the verdict? Which lipstick reigns supreme?

Well, it's clear I wasn't really comparing apples and apples here. The lipsticks are quite different so perhaps my competition was a little unfair!

If you are looking for a light day-wear red with a glossy finish that will complement "Statement eyes" then the L'Oreal Infallible is definitely the way to go.

If you want a matte red suitable for evening or a "statement lips" look, then Rimmel's "Lasting Finish by Kate" is certainly worth a look. 

I feel like the real winner in this competition is me! I have two great new reds to add to my collection.. colour me happy! 

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments