The Four Dollar Manicure - NYC Color

I thought I'd try and see what scraping the bottom of the budget beauty barrel was like, so I could share my findings. 

 


You do wonder sometimes if the price tag on "designer" labels is really more about the pretty packaging than the product itself... on the other hand the maxim "you get what you pay for" rings true for a reason!

I think while there are some gems to be had at the budget end of the spectrum things are rather more hit-and-miss in this price bracket. Then again, when something doesn't work out, at least you haven't wasted too much money, and when it's awesome, you're pleasantly surprised!


Maybe this is why I find it hard to resist the "bargain bin" at my local chemist.


This one though - I didn't even go to the chemist. I saw these at a service station! The brand is "NYC Color" and a bit of digging reveals it's owned by "The Heat Group", which also have brands like Cover Girl, Max Factor and Bourjois under their umbrella. 


The nail polishes were $2 each - I decided to splash out and get two of them - and that's how I wound up with a four dollar manicure!


I decided to go with something I knew I'd like, and also put the polish to the test - as any nail polish expert will tell you, the test of any range is their black polish. A good, opaque black is hard to find, so I decided to "go for broke" and try this super-cheap brand out with something tricky.


I have to say..it did take two coats, but I ended up with a pretty good glossy black. 


Of course I couldn't just leave it there so I also grabbed their "red sparkle" - which is just clear nailpolish with red glitter in it as far as I can tell.


It's also pretty good! The danger with glitter polishes is you want a nice high concentration of glitter. I want to really be able to see it. The more sparkly the better, as far as I'm concerned!


You can see what I wound up with. You will notice that I have very ordinary nails, that are kept short by a lot of typing and other rough treatment. Manicures don't usually last very long on my hands!


I'm happy with this, it's added a little sparkle to my day, and the price is very hard to beat!


In summary:
The Good: A wide range of colours, and $2 each!
The Bad: It's hard to criticize something this cheap without seeming petty. It probably dries slower than more expensive brands.
Would I buy again: I can see myself adding a few more colours to the collection at this price
Rating: Ω Ω Ω Ω  Very good, but doesn't "rock my world" - 4/5 Omegas

No comments