How to wear cheap blue eyeshadow.. without looking cheap.


Better believe it, blue eyeshadow is making a comeback! It's a colour lots of people are scared of trying though, maybe because it's a look that can go very, very wrong!


 Here's a fun blue-gold eyeshadow look I did recently.


The products I used are:
(You can click the links to see my reviews of each product!)


And for the eyes..
  • Ulta3 Eyeshadow Quad in "Nude Navy" (now there's a military initiative we can all get behind! :D )
Ulta3 is an ultra-budget product, this quad cost about $6.  I used it to demonstrate that even with a cheap product you can avoid a cheap look if your technique is right. 

The big trick is very easy - just keep the blue "below the crease" on your eye.. as long as you keep it on the lid and not above, it looks great!

If you put the blue too far up on your eye, you'll wind up looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. 

Of course Mimi is awesome.. but that look of hers is a HARD one to pull off. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but as awesome as you are? You are probably not quite as awesome as Mimi. I mean - look at her. Best just stick to my instructions instead. 

So.. the quad's four colours are a very light yellow-gold, a darker antique gold shimmer, a vibrant cobalt blue and a navy blue.


I used the light yellow-gold under my brow, all the way down to the crease. I used the cobalt on my inner eyelid, tracing the line of my crease over about halfway.. and used the navy on the outer lid, tracing it inwards to meet the lighter blue. Right in the middle of my eyelid and on my lower lash line I used the antique gold colour as a highlight.

I blended. A LOT. Don't be afraid to start out with a light hand and build the colour up. Keep adding, keep blending... it is a lot easier to add more product than to take it away if you've overdone it. 

When you're done, you should end up with something like what I've taken pics of below. 

This a an especially great look if you have green, blue or hazel eyes. My eyes change colour a lot, I find that wearing blue really makes them pop.


To finish off this look, I swept my hair into a twist-and-pin side chignon   This was totally inspired by one of the tutorials on the brilliant blog "Hair Romance".  Was easy to do and looked stylish.


So.. do you dare to wear the blue?? If you do, what's your favourite blue? If you don't, are you going to try it now? 







4 comments

  1. Blue and green I find are the hardest colours to wear but, I tried them last week, and I think I'm starting to get hooked on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to hear it, I think they can really highlight your eyes.. I'm getting quite a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how you show that it's all in the technique not expensive product, that is the key. I have been thinking about trying a dark green eye, but not sure where to start? I would love to see this tutorial by your expertise perhaps? Pretty please lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello KatieKitten! I have just put up a look featuring a dark green eye - check out my post on my 1920s inspired look : http://fashionadjacent.blogspot.com/2011/11/20s-inspired-makeup-look-be-flapper.html

    I would be happy to do a more detailed tutorial on this if you wanted me to, just say the word! :)

    ReplyDelete