Weird Beauty: Tush Magazine and ginger men in lipstick

Johnny Harrington for TUSH: Lip Service
It does seem sometimes with beauty advertising that you've seen it all before.. I mean, how many ways can you photograph a model wearing lipstick??
The people of TUSH magazine have manged to get a new angle on it, using Johnny Harrington to model some luxe lipsticks from DiorYves Saint LaurentChanelEstee Lauder, and Tom Ford in an editorial entitled Lip Service.
 I think I like it!! Of course being a goth I have always thought boys in makeup were sexy. And I have, strangely enough, always found red-headed men rather attractive.
I think it's really interesting to see some of the (frankly ridiculous) expressions you regularly see on women in lipstick commercials transposed onto a masculine face like this.. the messages it sends about gender really appeal to me. 
What do you think? Sexy, or too weird for words?! 

3 comments

  1. If you're keen to see some more of the gorgeous Johnny Harrington, I quite like this series of photos of him: http://independentmenmilano.blogspot.com/2010/05/johnny-harrington-in-latest-issue-of-xl.html

    You're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to figure out what it was about these that wasn't quite working for me, given that I've liked men in lipstick or other makeup previously, and I think it's the combination of facial hair + lipstick that somehow isn't gelling to my tastes.

    You make a good point about the stupid faces women make in lipstick ads however, because it's more pronounced on him and doesn't help sell the look to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha wow I love this! He really knows how to work those lipsticks! xx

    ReplyDelete