Review: Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil

So whenever I do a really over-the-top makeup look, I then have to clean it all off, and I usually take the opportunity to road-test one of my cleansers. I figure if it can handle the challenge of removing something dramatic.. like when I paint myself green to be Poison Ivy, for instance, then it should be up to the task of removing regular everyday makeup.


So, how did the Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil shape up? 



I got this sample of Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil In my November GlossyBox.  Bobbi Brown describe it as "A 2-in-1 formula that gently removes all traces of makeup & cleanses skin while maintaining natural moisture levels. Olive and Jojoba Oils condition skin and leave it feeling soft and supple while Ginger Root Extract soothes and calms the skin."


It smells vaguely floral, and feels, well, like oil! It took a fair bit of product but it did remove the makeup smoothly without me having to scrub too hard. I just smoothed it onto my skin and used a cloth to wipe it off, and the makeup came right off with the oil. 


Ancient Roman Oil Flask and Strigil
Using oil to cleanse is a practice that goes back to ancient times - the ancient romans used to regularly clean themselves with oil, they used olive oil mostly (if you were rich it would be scented with all sorts of lovely things) and they used a curved tool called a Strigil to scrape it off. I've actually tried this as part of my past in historical re-enactment and it works much better than you might think. It's actually a really pleasant way to clean yourself and leaves your skin very smooth and supple.


This product worked well and left my skin feeling nice. This would be a great option if you are prone to dry skin, and it would be much gentler on your skin than soap would be. I know some people with oily skins hesitate to put more oil on, but using harsh soaps can actually stimulate the production of more oil - something you want to avoid if you don't want breakouts.. so you might find a cleansing oil a really good choice. 


Have you used a cleansing oil? If not, would you? If you have, what did you think? Let me know in the comments!

No comments