Review: Eborian BB Creme with Ginseng. Also "What is BB Cream and why would I want it?"

When you're a blogger, you read a lot of blogs. It just happens! While looking at other beauty blogs I kept seeing mentions of a product called "BB Cream" I'm not too proud to admit I had no idea what it was, so I did a little digging..

What did I find out? Well...


"Blemish Balm" or "BB Cream" was invented by Dr Christine Schrammek back in 1968. It was originally designed to help patients who had just had plastic surgery heal faster. After Dr Schrammek visited Korea it became very popular there amongst Korean celebrities, and from there spread all over Asia. There's hundreds and hundreds of different types and brands now and it's still one of the most popular beauty products in Asian markets.

Dr Christine Schrammek
So what is it? Well, it's a product that can be used in addition to, or instead of, your foundation, that's meant to be a lot better for your skin than foundation is.

With many foundations containing skincare products as well, I am not sure how true this really is.. it seems as though the progression of "BB Cream" and foundations has been rather parallel, with lots of companies selling BB Cream in Asian markets and foundation in European markets that are very similar in formulation.

That said, from the ones I have tried, they definitely seem to feel lighter on the skin. They feel like a moisturiser or skincare product and look and act like foundation, so that's a win in my book!

They also usually come in just one or two shades, an ashy/grey looking tone and a yellowish tone in many cases. For me the ashy/grey kind is the best one.. I have swatched lots of different ones and they all seem to blend in really well, some offering more coverage than others.

I was pleased to see a sample of BB Cream in my November BellaBox , from a really famous Korean brand, Erborian. The sachet was tiny and I honestly thought I wouldn't really be able to give much of a review with such a small sample, but it seems as though a little goes a long way - there was three or four applications worth in the tiny sachet we were given.

I really liked the way it felt on my skin, and I liked the amount of coverage it gave me. I am thinking seriously about picking up a full size version of this when I am next needing to buy foundation.

Have you ever tried BB Cream? What did you think? Tempted to try it out?





2 comments

  1. I've been using the Garnier "Miracle Skin Perfector" (marketed as Australia's 1st BB cream, despite the term BB Cream not featuring on the label - or certainly not prominently if it does. I honestly thought it was just a new tinted moisturiser. Regardless, I'm happy with the coverage and appearance it gives and I've been wearing it both on it's own, as a moisturiser, or putting powder over it instead of using foundation as well, and been happy with it.

    It's a little heavier than I'd ideally like, as an everyday moisturiser, but your above comments on BB Creams explain that a bit more, and it's a bit stingy around my sensitive eyes, but overall it's a really good product, comes in light or dark shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Garnier cream.. I think it's only a matter of time before we see more of these in the Australian market.

    ReplyDelete