So.. over the years I have tried many, many many red dyes.
Before I get into what were hits and misses for me - I should clarify that what I am am going for with my hair is a true blue-red, like the colour of a fire engine or a post office box. Not orange. Not pink. I don't like reds that fade to pink.. I much prefer a red that fades to orange. Your choices might be different!
I trawled through old photos to show you what various dyes looked like for me.
- L'Oréal Permanent Dye - don't know exactly what colours etc the stylist used for this but no matter where I went I never really seemed to get a lot of brightness. The colour lasted a long time but was more of a deep auburn than a true red.
- Affinage Colour Bomb - long lasting for a semi permanent, and was a good red colour untill they changed the formula. Now the colour they sell as a red is a pink on me.. I was very very unhappy when they changed it!
- Manic Panic Red Corvette (not pictured) not really easy to get your hands on here but is a good colour, also a bit prone to fading to pink though.
- Fudge - doesn't last long and fades to pink. It's cheap and readily available though so if you are willing to refresh it fortnightly you can keep colour going.
- Directions Fire - great semi-permanent option, doesn't fade to pink, just gets lighter red, leaning towards orange as it fades.
- Goldwell Ellumen - a permanent colour that is really bright.
|L'Oreal Permanent Dye|
|Affinage Colour Bomb|
|Fudge Red Corvette|
The clear winner for me is Goldwell Ellumen. This is the best red I have used in decades of trying everything. It's a really bright red, it does not fade to pink, and it lasts FOREVER. This is NOT a dye you should use if you like to change your hair colour later.. for many people it won't even bleach out. If you are committed to a particular shade though this stuff is brilliant.