Mirenesse Tightliner - what is tightlining? and how to tightline

In the January Glossybox was a Mirenesse Tightliner, in a lovely sapphire colour. I had a couple of people ask me "what's tightlining?" so I thought I would do a bit of a tutorial on it.

Tightlining, is, simply put, putting eye-liner on the bit of your eyelid under your eyelashes.. the "top waterline". It's a surprisingly effective technique.. if you do this without wearing eye-liner in the usual place it can look as though you're not wearing it at all.. it gives you the same visual illusion of eye liner without it being obvious you're wearing any.

If you are a fan of the "no makeup" makeup look this is definitely a technique you should add to your repertoire.  Likewise, if you like dramatic looks, like me, you will find this adds an extra dimension to your eyeliner-heavy looks.

Click "read more" to see how it all comes together:


1: Naked eye

2: Tightlining
3: Tightlining + Eyeliner on top
4: Tightlining + Top Eyeliner + Waterline
5: Tightlining + Top Eyeliner + Waterline + Bottom Eyeliner
6: Tightlining + Top Eyeliner + Waterline + Bottom Eyeliner + Mascara
6: Tightlining + Top Eyeliner + Waterline + Bottom Eyeliner + Mascara + Eyeshadow

 Here's the technique in a video so you can see how it all happens:




The pencil I'm using came in the January Glossybox and is made by Mirrenesse.. it's a lovely "felt tip" style liquid liner and the colour is gorgeous, a dark sapphire blue. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this, I can tell.

Do you tightline? Had you heard of this before? Do please speak up.. comments are love! As this blog gains popularity I am getting a lot of trolling comments, both here and on youtube.. it would be very nice indeed if there were more nice comments to balance that out.. please?




5 comments

  1. This blue looks good on you and really complements the redness of your hair :)

    And ignore the trolls! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ling! I think this blue would also look good if you had brown/dark eyes, I think blue eye makeup with brown eyes looks awesome..

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! I used to do a bit of this in the 80's & had totally forgotten how effective it is; thanks for the reminder. & I agree with Ling; that blue is fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it is a bit of an old-school technique, but it seems to be coming back into vogue.. I have a feeling that this specific tightlining pencil is not the last one we will see coming out.. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this look, but I've always found that if I put make-up on my tight- or waterlines, my eyes start immediately watering (apparently my face is a bad pun) which then ruins all my make-up. Guess I'll just have to stick with eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete