Review: New Illamasqua Collection - Human Fundamentalism




For some time now I have been eagerly anticipating the release of the new Illamasqua Collection, and finally the embargo has been lifted, and I can share it with you..

When I spoke to Clare Lille, the makeup artist Illamasqua flew out from the UK for Myer's Autumn Winter fashion launch, I asked her what she could tell me about  the new collection.. she said that the new collection was all about celebrating diversity, and that it was something she felt proud to be a part of.

Now that I've seen it, I can see why! The imagery with this is quite stunning. Its challenging to present cultural diversity in a way that doesn't smack of appropriation, I think this is a good example of how it can be done right.

I especially love the image of the beautiful woman in the Hijab. When was the last time you saw a portrayal of a muslim woman in the media that was wholly positive, and not about the fact that she was Islamic?   

I don't normally quote straight from press releases, but I really liked what they had to say in theirs about the collection:


Human Fundamentalism is an explosion of your alter ego. It’s becoming who you are and not who you’re told to be. Beauty isn't conformity, but the fundamental human desire to express your inner self on the outside. 
To rise above mainstream limitations and exist in a world where individuality is received with celebration not  derision, and breaking the mould is a sign of strength not instability.

We stand for freedom of expression, embracing our glorious imperfections and showing the world we’re not  ordinary but extraordinary, even if society refuses to accept it.

We’re beyond conformity. Beyond control. Beyond hiding who we really are. We are not a religion, but the singular opposite. We are Illamasqua.

Inspiring stuff! Even, dare I say, a little reminiscent of the Fashion Adjacent Manifesto, no wonder it is resonating with me.

Apart from all the feel-good sentiment, there's also some rather spectacular new products as part of this range. As predicted it's a colour expansion of some of the most popular items in Illamasqua's range. The "Au" version of SkinBase has gold flecks in it, to give a shimmer. I can't wait to try this out.

The new teal colours are also calling out to me - the teal lipstick is called Apocalips which has got to be the best name for a lipstick I've heard in ages. The gorgeous red is my old favourite "Box" which I have raved about before.

The other product catching my eye is the Precision liner - in white. A white liner is a lot more useful than you might imagine, I simply can't wait to get my hands on this and show you what it can do.

All in all I can say this is one collection that has lived up to the hype, I am really looking forward to getting up close and personal with it.








No comments