Aussie Curves: Tribal




Tribal theme this week for the blog hop - what the heck does tribal mean, anyway?

In the fashion world, it seems to mean "culturally appropriated elements". I'm not sure how comfortable I am about that. The whole thinking around cultural appropriation is something I don't really have my head around. I can accept that some people think it's bad, and there does seem to be some clear-cut cases where you just shouldn't get into it - sacred objects like feather headdresses, for instance.

The wider realm of being influenced by patterns and styles and elements from other cultures, though - that seems to me to be a good thing.. the more of a melting-pot we become the less opportunity there is for hatred, one would hope..

I decided to dodge that whole morass and instead show you tribal from a different angle.

I started thinking about my tribe. My tribes, I should say, because I am part of a few of them (as we all are). There's my poly tribe, which is what we like to call our extended family-of-choice.. but there's not really a fashion style associated with that..

There's some others though that definitely come with a dress-code. Let me show you some of my tribes.

First up - the tribe I have been a part of since I was a teenager. The Goth Tribe. When we're not sacking Rome (ha ha history joke) we can be found looking decadent and delicious after dark.


Then, there's the steampunk tribe:

Steampunk (for those that don't already know) is an aesthetic genre where the participants imagine that the "Age of Steam" never ended - the industrial revolution never happened, mass production doesn't exist, and all our modern do-dads are powered, in the main, by steam instead of electricity. It's a neo-victorian look full of brass, clockwork and gadgetry. Oh, and goggles - mustn't forget the goggles.

Any subculture that encourages handsome young men into waistcoats and gives me an excuse to wear bustle skirts and corsetry is okay by me.

So - there they are - just two of the more fashion-oriented tribes I am a part of.

What tribes are you a part of? Tell me in the comments!

Oh, and while you're here - I am doing an awesome giveaway on the blog at the moment - a hotel and restaurant voucher for a great night out.. You should totally click here and enter!




17 comments

  1. I love how you interpreted the theme, and I hsve extreme steampunk envy of your last photo- what a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) The dress is from fan + friend but I modified a fair bit :)

      Delete
  2. I love this take on Tribal.Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked it! I was nervous about colouring outside the lines :)

      Delete
  4. Love your take on tribal. Good on you for thinking outside the box. I totally went with the obvious African inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your photos, they're always fabulous. You have such a great look. Although I'm no goth I love checking out the dress code and makeup. Turns out I didn't know what Steampunk was til now. If it means rocking some corsetry then that's awesome. Great photos, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from an awesome photographer like you that is high praise indeed!! I'm glad you enjoyed a bit of a walk on the wild side.. any time you want to dress up steampunk you let me know, I have you sorted :)

      Delete
  6. I love this! Thanks for introducing us to your tribes. Loving your take on the theme from top to bottom.

    My tribe? I have 86 first cousins. My family IS a tribe. And I love every single crazy one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EIGHTY SIX??!!!!! Wowzers. Family gatherings must be heaps of fun! And loud!! :)

      Delete
  7. Great tribes! Love the final dress xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, love it. Technically with 6 kids, countless pets and a hubby I am a part of my own tribe!!!
    Luv Jac @ Common Chaos Chronicle xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With half a dozen gorgeous kids you have made your own tribe!! Love it! :)

      Delete
  9. lol you are a total babe! I love ALL your tribes!! Ummmmm I'm not sure what kind of tribe I'm in, I guess like most of us here our families count as a pretty crazy tribe!

    ReplyDelete