Aussie Curves: Breaking the Rules




This is a theme I really (REALLY) struggled with.  Since I was a small child I have been the annoying one saying "But WHHHYYYYY is it like that? WHYYY?!". I was never satisfied with "It's like that because.. it just is!!" sorts of answers. This made me a great trial to all of my teachers and my poor parents too.. they are still bewildered by most of my choices. 

Now that I am older and wiser.. I am still the annoying one who asks "BUT WHHHY!" and questions the status quo. 

I don't so much set out to break the rules.. I see "the rules" as one of many possible options, and when the "done thing" doesn't seem the most sensible option to me, well, I just go ahead and ignore that. 

My unconventional life is the result. My whole life "breaks the rules". How do I demonstrate that in one outfit? How would it be different to anything else I would wear day to day?

Then... I had an idea. I thought I would take this theme in a bit of a different direction - if you want to see me breaking the rules, you can look at pretty much every other page of my blog. This post though, I thought I might dedicate to how I break the rules in a conservative setting.

My day job is something I don't talk about much here (and won't start now) - but I'll tell you this - often, it is a "SUIT JOB". I am meeting with important people in large boardrooms and many of them are very conservative.  Then I walk in.... with one look they are on the back foot. I win them over though, and here's how. 

 The frog in the saucepan principle. Most people would have heard of this already, but it's all about gradual change - if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will hop out straight away. If you heat the water slowly though, the frog will just get all warm and relaxed first and then be boiled before you know it.  Honestly I've no interest in boiling a live frog, so I don't know if it's true or not - for frogs. I think it works just fine on people, for good and for ill.

I try not to shock people too much when I first encounter them. I dress as conservatively as possible (while still being "ME") and then I dazzle them with my brilliance... if you're good enough, people will forgive you if you look a bit weird - I have been relying on this my whole career.

Here I am dressed as conservatively as I can manage. Grey pinstripe suit (Portmans) Sensible heels (Fluevogs), my hair slicked back into a professional and traditional french roll. My makeup is matte and neutral with a red lip. The red blouse (Target) actually tones down my hair.  

All together - okay, I am still a fat woman with wild red hair, but I am not out-of-the-ballpark scary from the get go. 




As people get to know me, I can relax a little and be less straight-laced  But this is how I begin. People often say they love my hair and they'd love to do that. "But they can't because of their job..." I just smile - I don't want to get into a conversation about my job, and I let them think I do something wacky for a living in an industry that doesn't have a conservative dress code. How wrong they are - I am there, "Breaking the Rules" again. 


Photobucket
Photobucket

If you want to be the first one to know what's going on around here with blog updates to your email, along with getting a special message from me once a week, you should really subscribe to my new newsletter.



35 comments

  1. lol love it, slow heat that frog lady x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, boiled frog, sounds tasty (not really...) :)

      Delete
  2. I had to chuckle a little. You look fab, of course, but I could almost imagine the effort that must go into creating an outfit like this for yourself and then to pull it off when you'd be so much more comfortable in blue lippie. I love it. does that make sense? I hope so.

    And the blog design looks FAB! Love the profile image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, this is an effort, but I've climbed pretty far up the corporate ladder by making an effort, so it's worth it :) I feel like an infiltrator into a world that's not mine.. and this is my disguise. I actually like it even though it feels like a costume :)

      Delete
  3. I love the new look of the blog! Awesome!

    I also LOVE this look. It still screams you, but as you said, in a more 'conservative' setting. It shows we don;t have to completely disregard who we are just because of a set of expectations. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still need to be "me" but I like the challenge of being myself within some strict dress codes as well :)

      Delete
  4. Snap, I have those Fluevogs in purple! Love that you're changing peoples minds, one outfit at a time! You look great, all suited up.

    I am loving that one way background. Perfect for this post. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sign is down the bottom of my street, and I have been thinking it would make a fun background for outfit posts.. when this theme came up I knew it was THE ONE!.. though I will probably use it again, it's a great wall :)

      Delete
  5. Very COOL indeed... and I love the frog story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, you are a Queen a breaking the rules and what I love about this post is, that while so many others are getting while and adventurous, you have gone conservative. You keep us guessing every week and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, always zigging when others are zagging.. I thought it was a good opportunity to demonstrate how to survive when there are lots and lots of rules :)

      Delete
  7. I've never managed the corporate look, ever! thankfully I've been pretty lucky in that even though I've mostly worked corporate jobs they have all had relaxed dress codes. You rock this look, conservative with a touch of va-voom!
    btw, I liked the frog story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. I think dress codes generally are getting more relaxed, especially for women.. there's still a few bastions of tradition though :)

      Delete
  8. Stunning pics and post from one ruler breaker to another ... you're superb ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last picture is badly edited and the whole look is just wrong. It makes me laugh how people try to find explanations and excuses for being fat. Curves, oversized, and many other words. I hate lazy people who likes to eat too much but they simply try to convince everyone how happy they are and how they can break the rules. Bullshit. You are just too week to admit you cant lose weight. Besides I honestly have no clue how much you have to eat to look like this. Every time I look at you I cant understand why you post pictures of those horribly shaped eyebrows, badly done eye makeup and everything else. You always look so scruffy, its a mistery to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I marvel at how brave you are to make caustic comments while hiding behind anonymity. If you truly have such strong conviction then at least put your name to your comments. Meanwhile, I very much doubt Omgega cares about your opinion. Here is a thought. Put yourself out there, post up images of yourself, and let us all pick over your flaws. Except in all likely hood we would not, because we have pride, dignity and our own self worth.

      Delete
    2. Dear Anon Hater,
      Thank you for taking the time to not only look at my blog but send me a comment, perhaps next time you could take a couple of extra moments to also run a spellcheck? I'm glad that I gave you a laugh, and I'm also glad you realise that you have "no clue", as that is pretty obvious from your post.

      If my pictures, my style and/or this blog isn't to your liking there are approximately eleventy billion other blogs that you can peruse if you desire, though I cannot guarantee that they will not also be a "mistery" to you.

      Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Omega, I love your corporate wear! I never have the opportunity to dress up for work...we're a very casual workplace here. Love that you've still injected your personality through your shoes and shirt. Well done lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter where I go, there I am.. :)

      Thankfully I have more casual days at work too (as my OOTD posts will attest), sometimes though you need to SUIT UP :)

      Delete
  11. Love the layout! Looks amazing!
    I always thought I would have trouble dressing for a corporate environment, but you make it seem rather easy. I love that you still let yourself shine through, but managed to keep it very appropriate. I've never heard of that frog saying, but it's something I shall remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I have always thought the strict parameters of corporate dress is an amusing puzzle to unpick :) I am sure someone of your sartorial talents could manage it! :)

      Delete
  12. Cute shoes, cute dress! Loving your twist on corporate wear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE that dress! It is so sexy yet professional at the same time! Great look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember thinking it was a bit expensive when I bought it (though I have long forgotten what the actual price was now).. it's just so "me" though I had to have it. It's served me very well over the years :)

      Delete
  14. I love the shoes and must look into this brand! Also, I love the way you've gently engaged people with your look and how you are in the world - so awesome!

    What I want to know is, can you do a french role with hair that is especially long or is it just out of the question? If it is possible for someone with hair as long as mine, can you demonstrate it? If not, do you have other suggestions for professional pinned hair that can be done before coffee in the morning? Possibly a tall order, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to do something different with my hair, without being willing to cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Yes, you certainly can do a french roll with very long hair.. Here's a woman with really long, thick hair showing how it's done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obg8mT08804

      When my hair was waist-long (oh so many years ago), I used to do ponytails and then twist and pin the hair from there - either in one section for scrolls and buns, or in two or three for more interesting options.

      Plaiting it and pinning the plaits up is another way to go, too..

      Delete
  15. Your hair look great Omega! And I love your work wear! I can't wait to meet you- you are so utterly fabulous!

    And totally loving the new layout! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'd love to meet you one day too! :)

      Delete
  16. Omega you are freaking fabulous. Anon troll go and eat a BIG LAHO ;) you'd like that wouldn't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm not sure what a LAHO is but I'm going to assume it's not tasty :)

      Delete
  17. I love this! If I ever get an office job I want your style advice!!!
    Jac@CommonChaosChronicle xox

    ReplyDelete