Aussie Curves: Skirts

Dear Readers, we bring you a momentary break from the Halloween Festival for an Aussie Curves update. This week the theme is Skirts. 

I find skirts really versatile and they are a staple of my wardrobe. Huge floaty maxi skirts for warm summer days, snug pencil skirts for sexy sauntering, dramatic fishtails for evening drama.. I have them all! This of course, leaves me with a bit of a dilemma - which one should I show you? 
Then, a revelation! Lucky me, one of my favourite skirts has never made an appearance on this blog!
It's made by Victor Alexandre, a Melbourne designer, and surprise, surprise, it's red - red tartan to be exact.
The skirt is wool - now if I had not escaped the redneck lands of Queensland for Melbourne, I would hardly have had reason to own this - in the chilly southern climes it often comes in handy.. I know people often move north for the weather, but I am no fan of summer heat, so I went south instead, and whenever I get to wear something like this in October, I feel like that was a brilliant decision. 

This has a large triangular yoke at the front, and is gathered at the hem, so it bustles out - it has really interesting pleats and tucks in it so it forms a cool shape from every angle. 

My favourite thing about this skirt though, is the deep and useful pockets on each side - the skirt is made so they can hold a lot of weight without distorting the shape of the skirt at all. With this skirt on, a handbag is a choice, not a necessity. I wish more women's clothes had the utilitarian aspects of men's clothes - men take useful pockets for granted, I am not sure why we women haven't demanded they become part of everyday wear for us too! 

The rest of my outfit - I'm wearing a grey tunic top with black trim at the neckline, from Moda by Target, and over that, a cropped short sleeved jacket from City Chic many seasons ago - the belt is from there, too. The shoes are old faithfuls, also from Target. 

This was a comfortable and casual outfit to wear that still looked dressy enough for the party I was headed to. Springtime in Melbourne this year is resulting in a lot of days that seem perfect to me - warm sun, cool breeze, lovely weather that isn't too hot.. gorgeous. 





Photobucket
Photobucket

19 comments

  1. I always think the same thing about pockets and women's clothes!! What an amazing skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was of the paranoid type I'd claim it was a patriarchal conspiracy to keep us weighed down with handbags!! It does make me love and appreciate what I do have with pockets all the more, though :)

      Delete
  2. Love the tartan in that skirt. You have a great eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A red tartan shot with grey and black is a total no-brainer for me, that's all the colours I wear! :)

      Delete
  3. That skirt is so nice! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omega your skirt is mad crazy! I love the big pockets...you can hide loads of things in there :) I would find this very useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself grabbing this skirt when the idea of not needing to carry a bag sounds good.. it's a fashionable workhorse :)

      Delete
  5. I also moved South and have gotten used to the lovely cooler days. Your skirt is all kinds of fab and highlights your waist. Awesome skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fab, fun outfit! I agree about the pockets thing. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome skirt, and who doesn't love pockets! I love the way it is gathered, so unique! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that skirt! Can't imagine you ever getting a chance to get to wear it in sunny QLD either, but Melbourne is just right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! awesome skirt!!!!!! tarten is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that skirt is AMAZING, just simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing skirt and in tartan too. I'm with you re Melb weather I really love this time of year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that skirt! I need to find me some skirts with pockets x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving that skirt! Very Vivienne Westwood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol I knew you would have a knock-out skirt!Aweseom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not enough skirts with pockets! Love!

    ReplyDelete