Aussie Curves: Dark



 



This week the theme is "Dark". That's home territory for me! To say I have an affinity with the shadows is an understatement.. I've been a goth since my teens, and I have always seen the beauty in darkness. I have a distrust of people who shy away from the darker side of things, as I assume they also shy away from the truth. Without the darkness, none of us would ever see the stars - and that would be a great shame, would it not? People who focus on the lighter things and shun the dark always seem really shallow to me, and even a bit sinister - I tend to have more respect for people who acknowledge the darkness of life and choose to smile and laugh anyway.. that seems a far more honest approach to me.

Want to see more?



When I saw storm clouds brewing I knew I had to take my tradgoth ensemble down to the water. I love the sea in a way I can't really explain - I love it's many moods, and the way it can both calm and energise me at the same time.. I try to get down to the water as often as I can, just a few minutes of sitting watching the water can feel like a holiday to me.


I am lucky enough to live less than 2km from the bay where I am, and it is one of the great joys of my life to be able to get near the water regularly. .


Now, what you can't see in these photos are my children frolicking around enjoying the beach as well, along with a fair few other punters who wondered what the heck I was doing.. we even had a few hecklers! That's okay - I am used to that. I don't dress the way I do for the approval of others, I do it for myself. When other people appreciate my aesthetic that's nice, but it's not necessary.

Of course I had to go head to toe black for this.. and I got out all my lovely lace things as well.. I'm wearing a black top with a lace front panel, and a beaded lace jacket, both op shop finds. Over the top of that I am wearing my jewelled belt from City Chic. On the bottom half, a black tired skirt with lace trim.


I'm wearing my cameo, it has a picture of Artemis on it.. appropriate for the theme as she was the goddess of the moon and the night, along with being the goddess the Hunt and wild animals.. It's one of my favourite pieces.

For my makeup I have gone with the very traditional goth thing - pale skin, eyes with dramatic eye-liner  smoky black and red shadows, and ombre lips - scarlet and a dark plum.

This is not normally a look I would put on for a stroll by the seaside, but I have to say it was a fun thing to do! We ended up staying to watch the sunset and then had a delicious dinner of fish & chips right there on the sand.

As the darkness grew around us, we gathered everyone up and headed home, tired and happy. As we got back to our house, night had fallen and gentle rain started pattering on the tin roof.. ... a magical evening, and one that seemed to sum up the theme nicely.

So, a suggestion for you.. take the time to enjoy the darkness as well as the light, life is a lot richer that way.


Photobucket
Photobucket

28 comments

  1. Amazing photos and I love your quote about the stars x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.. I think I am always going to be a bit biased towards the darker side of life :)

      Delete
  2. You look fab Omega! Such a gorgeous backdrop for your photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.. it's so close to my house, I really ought to make use of it more often..

      Delete
  3. Wow what an amazing backdrop, you have caught this at the perfect light! And your makeup-as per usual- looks fab! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to catch a nice sunset, but the storm clouds spoiled that idea.. now the photos are all done I think I was lucky to get the dramatic clouds instead! :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos Omega! Ok...question...how do you do that bit where only you're in focus and the background is sort of out of focus? Is it via your camera, camera phone or editing software? Also..I did wonder.."how is she going to pull this off?" When I saw this week's Aussie Curves Challenge knowing how much you do love reds! But you DID!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a lot of messing around with my camera I can usually get this effect when I want it... but there's plenty of ways to fake it with post-editing effects too.. you're usually looking for some sort of "focal blur" setting..

      Delete
    2. I find putting your subject away from the background helps. Put distance between the person and the tree/wall/fence. Then set your apeture (f/number) at around 2. Then you have to watch to make sure the correct things are in focus. You can end with a perfectly focused background and fuzzy subject.

      Delete
    3. Great tips, Jeanie, thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. So jelly of your photos this week! background looks amazing! I tried doing a photo shoot on the sea side last week but it was a disaster as the wind here is crazy! love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bit of wind, but it was the right amount to make my hair move and not much more, thankfully...

      Delete
  6. Lacy, studded, bare foot awesome! Great job lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same. I've always been a little darker and learnt to embrace darkness. As i've grown older I think I've certainly become a lot lighter, but darkness is certainly still a big part of myself.

    I love the photos, the clothing and the make up, it all works so perfectly well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, I had a feeling you might feel some affinity to what I said :)

      Delete
  8. I forfeit! You totally win! :P

    You look amazing. That belt is stunning and what an amazing location!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I think every time we participate in Aussie Curves, by posting, or reading or commenting... we all win :)

      Delete
  9. you look so pretty! and the landscape is to die for. it's just the perfect combination, let me tell you babe!!

    Love, Ylenia from Longuette

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Omega. i knew you would love this week :)
    you look stunning as always :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing photos. Loving your beach wear. Okay it's not for everyone, but it totally works for you. I keep looking at your makeup, that is some seriously great eye makeup. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for everyone, but most certainly for me... thank you :)

      Delete
  12. Love your photos Omega and I love your writing that accompanies your posts every week. Pretty fly my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omega your shots here are amazing!! Looking super fab in dark this week...love your belt!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the belt is from City Chic, several seasons ago now, I am still getting a lot of wear out of it :)

      Delete