Aussie Curves: Pastels

When I first looked at the themes for Aussie Curves, there were some I thought "Oh, easy!" and others I thought "Hmmm, tricky, but okay..." and then there was the "OH HELL NO!" ones. And this... this was one of those.

Pastels are against my religion. Pastels are just so.. not me. To me they conjure up synonyms like bland, washed out, toned down.. funny the associations we have, isn't it.

I thought, the only way I would ever be seen in pastels if it was part of some crazy costume, solely designed to look nothing like me and mess with people's heads. So, dear readers, this is what you see before you...
This is me if I was Marie Antoinette or Effie Trinket - if I was pastel instead of bright, you know I would go all the way, it would be a rainbow unicorn glitter extravaganza, so sickly sweet your teeth ache just thinking about it. That's what I was going for here. 

I got a cheap blonde costume wig and some of that colour hair spray, and I sprayed the blonde with pink streaks. The butterfly is just something that my daughter had floating around the house, that went with the hairdo I ended up pinning the wig into. 

I went with a pale base and a generous dusting of fluro pink BYS pigment for a candy-toned blush.

Then I went to town on my eyes, and made a pastel rainbow - mint, lavender, blue, pink and lemon all make an appearance. 

For my lips, I coated them with a nice sticky Juicy Tube gloss and then put sprinkles on top of them. They actually last surprisingly well, if you can resist the urge to eat them off your lips! 

I also added some cake decorations we happened to have that are rainbow butterflies - I stuck these on with little dabs of the sticky gloss. They too held up for several hours, but if I was going out with these on I would probably use eyelash glue or something a bit stronger to keep them in place.

What I love about this look is that I think it's really illustrative of the transformative powers of makeup. This looks nothing like me. I think I could walk past someone I knew looking like this and not be recognised.. it is so different to my usual look, when I look at these pictures it's like looking at a stranger.

I love that with a bit of paint and powder and a wig you can achieve that. With makeup, you can change yourself in all sorts of ways, try on a different identity just for fun..  If you could be anyone for a few hours.. what alter ego would you try on?

I enjoyed my brief stint as a pastel coloured princess.. but I have to say I was happy to discard it and return to my normal vibrant hues without a backward glance.  This is definitely a place that was fun to visit, but I don't want to live there! 



Now, I know this is a fashion challenge, so if unlike me you're keen on getting some pastels into your wardrobe, here are some great plus size options. I especially like the mint leather jacket - I love the combination of the sweet colour with the edgy cut. It's so cool I am almost (almost) tempted to buy it myself.  Click through to see these in more detail below: 



Once you've finished shopping you can go look at the other gorgeous Aussie Curves ladies resplendent in pastels below.









Photobucket
Photobucket

20 comments

  1. Amazing work! I love your creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carly, coming from such a talented creative writer as yourself that's a real compliment! :)

      Delete
  2. You're so out there, love this kooky look. Now go and ride off into the sunset with your unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ride my unicorn until I find a double rainbow (so intense, what does it mean?!)
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! Your face looks yummy (lol). Creative and unique as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Having sprinkles on my lips was pretty tasty :)

      Delete
  4. You're crazy. Loving the edible face! Looks like you had fun doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, I was tempted to stroll down to the 7-11 and buy ALL THE CANDY BARS :)

      Delete
  5. Wait a moment, just picking my jaw up off the ground.
    Wow! WOW! WOW!!!
    Omega this is the weirdest coolest look I've seen in a long while.
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, weird and cool is my speciality! :)

      Delete
  6. Love this mammoth effort! You're SO cool. Sprinkle lips ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gorgeous candy-coloured thing you!!! I can't get enough of that rad hair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if blondes really do have more fun, but I'll be saving this wig for a special occasion I think :)

      Delete
  8. Your make up is so amazing! It looks so different from the normal you, but I still love it! I love how creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh omega you always leave me so amazed when i see your looks. you are so creative with your make up. I love it. xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Miss Indie dress from ModCloth is the spitting image of a range of Hell Bunny dresses o.o Identical! I thought they liked to go on about how unique their range is... In fact, my bridesmaid dress for tomorrow is the same design, but in red... On that note, Hell Bunny has some gorgeous dresses, some of them pastels. I'm not really a pastel person, but they nearly lure me to the not-dark side LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ModCloth resells other brands so it could well be the Hell Bunny dress.. sounds like it is!

      Habe an awesome time at the wedding, you'll look gorgeous!

      Delete