Aussie Curves: Polka Dots


Do you know what polka dots have to do with the dance? Nothing! The smart boffins who first sought to popularize this pattern in the 1800's just named it after the most popular dance of the time, so more people would like it - if these were coming out today, they'd probably be called "Krump Dots" or something. 

To truly be considered "Polka Dots" the spots need to be evenly sized and evenly spaced, and it's a two colour pattern - the spots all one colour against a plain background.
It's not hard to see why this pattern has stood the test of time, something some simple and symmetrical just appeals to the eye.

The polka dot dress I'm wearing is a vintage piece from the 1960s. It's made out of one of the new "wonder fabrics" of the day, which means it's a bit scratchy and it doesn't breathe at all - definitely one for the cooler days. 

The cut is lovely though, a crossover neckline with ruffles, nips in at the waist and flares out to a full skirt. There's matching ruffles on the long sleeves. 
Underneath, to show you I don't always wear red (just mostly) is a magenta singlet top. I love mixing a classic pattern with a modern bright.

My shoes are from Target, and have another summer's wear left in them. I normally wear these so often in the warmer months that I get tan lines on my feet from them.. I'm going to try and remember to reapply sunscreen to my feet this year and try and stop that from happening. 

For my makeup I thought I'd try a pop of magenta there, too - loose pigment and the gorgeous iridescent eyeshadow from my Illamasqua palette combine for bright eyes no one can ignore! A slick of matching iridescent "Boost" gloss (also from Illamasqua) completes the look. 

If you want to see some great spotty and dotty options that you can try out for yourself, I recently did a post showcasing some of my favourites. Check it out here! 

When you're done with that check out some of the other ladies from Aussie Curves rocking Polka Dots in the linky below.


Photobucket
Photobucket


20 comments

  1. Ah the 60's yes that's a fantastic look! Really like the magenta touch - not overpowering - quite delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty dress! The cut suits your figure beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a really lucky find :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous dress lovely, it's all kinds of wonderful on you!

    I KNEW there had to be a difference between spots and polka dots but I had NO IDEA. Turns out I should have worn my other top. Oh well, you live you learn. I did know that my dots were a little wonky though. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonky or not, your dots looked awesome :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love the polka dot/ruffle combo. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm a little shocked... no red. What the. =) You look awesome the dress is stunning, great fit and design. You already know I love it when you wear your hair out. You've got luscious locks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I like to keep people guessing. :)

      Delete
  6. wheres the red? oh hell even without it you look fabulous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I don't wear red there's still the hair.. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with Lisa! Perfect cut! I love the fun addition of Magenta too! Nice to mix it up a bit and not always wear a predictable colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, everyone this week is wearing some beautifuly cut dresses and this is sure one of them! Loving the makeup too, thats one thing im really not too good at is popping eye shadow and you do such an amazing job of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is my fav of yours and my fav for the week - love the dress and it looks awesome with your hair..

    ReplyDelete
  10. WINNING! You were always gonna rock the polka-dots theme. Love the black and white with your fire-engine hair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots! Love running into another Aussie blog!

    <3 Anna Vu
    www.vucouturegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete