Aussie Curves: Feathers


This weeks Aussie Curves theme is Feathers. Nothing adds a bit of drama to an outfit quite like feathers do.. regular readers will know how much I love a bit of drama in my ensembles. It will not surprise you to learn that I incorporate feathers quite regularly.

I am careful about what feathers I use, though. There's some feathers that are better off staying on the birds they came from instead of putting those species at risk.. I like to stick to chicken and turkey feathers mostly, as they are by-products of the poultry industry and would only go to waste otherwise, and they can be dyed and shaped and printed in lots of different ways.

In this outfit I am wearing a light cotton dress from Chic Star, belted with my jewel-stuffed City Chic belt, and over the top, a feather shrug I made by sewing some feather boas together. The cute sandals I'm wearing are Crocs, and are certainly comfortable enough to dance the night away in.

 I've pinned my hair up on my head and put feathers in my hair as well.. red of course! I love doing this, it really adds a very old-fashioned look to your updo, super fun if you are headed off to a cocktail bar, burlesque show or anything where a bit of retro glamour is welcome.

For my makeup I couldn't resist doing "peacock eyes". I laid down half forest green and half dark blue, both from the Too Faced Smokey Eye pallette across my eyelid and then overlaid the incredible duochrome glitter eyeshadow from Illamasqua's "Empower" palette. I put a bit of it on my lips as well, over the top of a dark purple Illamasqua lipstick called "Kontrol".  To finish off, Eye of Horus liquid eyeliner, and Eye of Horus mascara as well - both have awesome staying power. 

Down below you will find some other ideas to incorporate feathers into your wardrobe, from the sublime to the ridiculous! (Feather skull mask, anyone?) . Below that you can see the other awesome Aussie Curves ladies and their feathered fashion creations!

Photobucket
Photobucket

17 comments

  1. love the DIY feather shrug, looking fab Ms Omega x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So easy to make, you should try it if you like the look!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your shrug is fabulous Omega! Adds a load of Hollywood glamour to your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend it for midsummer though, it is surprisingly warm to wear! Will be bringing it out again when it gets cooler though :D

      Delete
  3. Peacock eyes! Awesome. I also love how yo have done your lips. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You look amazing, love the shrug! And the feathers in your hair are great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe its DIY!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVEE it!!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh, thank you... was super easy, you should try it!!

      Delete
  6. the way you use makeup to bring together your looks.....just so cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. what can I say, I love paint!!! :D

      Delete
  7. Gah! Awesome as always. You're like an awesome modern day show girl with a day job or something. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, there's "bad secretary" and then there's.. this. :)

      Delete
  8. wow!!!!! love this look. dark and glam so very you and so very awesome!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your outfits never disappoint. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete