Aussie Curves: Purple

This week's theme? Purple. I do wear purple fairly regularly, It's fun to get away from my usual red, black, grey scheme once in a while. I have always loved how red and purple go together.

My favourite purple is a really rich Royal Purple shade. The word "Purple" comes from a rare seashell, the pupura, that they used to grind up to make dye.. the dye was so rare and precious that only the Roman Senators, and the Emperor, and later, the Byzantine Royal Family were allowed to use things that had been dyed with it. Nowadays anyone can don this regal shade, and I'm glad, because I love wearing it.


I have two purple tops on here, they are close enough in tone to go together well, both I have owned for a decade or so. With them is my red chiffon skirt from Crossroads that regular readers will have seen many times before now, a belt over the top, my gold "knot" necklace and a black & gold beaded headband, both from Collette.

On my feet, super cute giraffe print flats sent to me from Crocs, which are both funky and incredibly comfortable to wear.


If you're wondering about where these photos were taken? Well, they are in the very glamorous location of out the back of my yard next to my chook shed. We have this purple-flowering bush that just goes wild if we don't cut it back constantly and at the moment it has reached jungle proportions. It's really quite a nasty thing with itchy leaves and sap... but does have pretty purple flowers :)

With the terrible weather going on up north where I used to live, I feel it would be in very poor form for me to complain about the glorious sunshine that's making me squint in these photos, so I won't.

In the more forgiving light of my bathroom you can see the bright purple makeup I put on. Illamasqua creme eyeshadow, and Illamasqua lip gloss in "Fierce"


Here's some other purple goodies you might want to check out - as usual around here all of these are available in a size 20 or above and ship to Australia.




Photobucket

Photobucket


25 comments

  1. Im also a huge fan of the way purple and red clash and marry together! I am studying renaissance and byzantine art at uni and I love how you can tell who is who in a painting by what colour they are wearing! lovely outfit and lovely outdoor pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Byzantium to see the mosaics in the Haga Sophia many years ago (of course they're calling it Istanbul now or some such nonsense).. it was really amazing :)

      Delete
  2. I never thought of purple and red together before - but wow, it looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try sometime, it's a really fun combination to wear :)

      Delete
  3. You look amazing! I really love that belt too. You're shoes are too cute. And like Ezmae I love purple and red together too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I like best about the shoes, the fact that they are cute and really comfy, or the look on people's faces when they compliment them and I tell them they're Crocs! :)

      Delete
  4. The purple and red look a-maz-ing. And I never would have picked it was two purple tops if you hadn't of said. Your look blends effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's probably more obvious in real life than it is in these photos but they are a very good match :)

      Delete
  5. I have a love/hate relationship with purple. Sometimes it feels a bit too goth for me. Although I am wearing purple tights today ($3 at K-mart at the moment!)

    But you really rock it. Love the colour combi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not really any such thing as "too goth" in my world!! :D

      Those tights sound like a total bargain! :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I love your amazing colours and your eye make up is always perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love red and purple, they're such a punchy combination. And the crazy growing flowering thing made for a beautiful backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm telling myself it's a good thing we have been so lax on the gardening now, but its days are numbered! :)

      Delete
  8. You look fab - and I can't believe those shoes are crocs, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I think people have a really out-of-date idea of what Crocs look like.. definitely time for a re-visit if you haven't checked them out lately.. your feet will thank you!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your little history on purple, cheers. Your photos look amazing in that location. Is that poison ivy? I'm tempted to buy a purple lipstick now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can never resist blabbing on about history :) I don't think the vine is poison ivy, it doesn't cause a rash just touching it or anything.. it's kind of nasty, but not quite THAT nasty :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome back drop! It's crazy gorgeous. Awesome purple top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES! I'm such a fan of Purple and Red together! Love the backdrop too, oh, and those crocs are actually rather nice, never thought i'd be saying that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes!! Crocs aren't what they used to be, and that's a good thing :)

      Delete
  12. I'm joining the general consensus and saying how much I love the red & purple combo!! Also loving the purple lip colour!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Purple and red? I have never tried this combination. But now I see that I have to try it :) This looks really interesting!

    Joanna,
    theplussizeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking gorgeous Omega... love the lip colour. Thanks for the history lesson too ;-)

    ReplyDelete