Aussie Curves: Secondhand







This week's Aussie Curves Theme is "Secondhand". I am a huge supporter of the idea that being fashionable doesn't mean totally buying into consumer culture (ha ha, see what I did there?). A lot of the "Fashion Forward  rhetoric that goes around is always about buying what's new, discarding what's old, being "ahead of the trend", buy buy buy.... I think that's not only wasteful and a bit silly but in the long term, it's totally unsustainable, both on a personal level and for the planet in general!


With my "Fashion Adjacent" philosophy I think people should be a lot more thoughtful and intentional about the way they buy clothes. Use what you've got, make additions to your wardrobe slowly, never in haste, and think "long term" with your purchases.

That said - buying second hand can be a real challenge when you're plus-sized. Basically the bigger a size you wear the harder it is to find things, new and secondhand. When I manage to find something in an opshop that fits and I like it's like striking gold - and I know I have it a lot easier than many others. While I encourage everyone to buy secondhand wherever possible, I acknowledge that this can be really hard.


One way it can be not so hard is participating in clothing swaps. Here in Melbourne there is an amazing group of fat fabulous people called "The Chub Republic" and I am proud to count myself amongst their number. One of the many good things they've done is holding regular plus size clothing swaps. Some of the members are also involved in a fat burlesque troupe called "Va Va Boombah", and I'm going to be DJing their show on Friday - if you're in Melbourne, you should totally come along!! (Click through here for the Facebook Event Listing)

So - This gorgeous black and white coat-dress is one of my finds from the swap, and so are the divine wide-calf boots I am wearing. Both of these items fitted seamlessly into my wardrobe like they'd always been there and I will be forever grateful to the kind soul who was generous enough to put these into the swap.


 Underneath I am wearing another one of my secondhand finds - a vintage wool-blend dress that I've featured before. As I remarked on twitter over the weekend, when it's midsummer and you can still wear this - you've chosen the right city to live in!


 For my makeup I used the gorgeous Saviour Faire palette that was send in the December Bella Box. I'll give you a closer look at it tomorrow, so come back then!


Oh, that necklace? Also secondhand, cost me a whopping FIFTY CENTS. Love it. 

Click through below and have a look at the other Aussie Curves participants and their secondhand ensembles. 

What's the most awesome secondhand thing in your wardrobe?? Leave a comment and tell me about it!


Photobucket
Photobucket



20 comments

  1. Wow that is an awesome coat-dress! I love it! And I love the idea of the Chub Republic. Very cool, very Melbourne! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super awesome.. I have a lot of fun whenever our paths cross.

      Delete
  2. Love your outfit! Do you know if Vava Boombah will be at Adelaide Fringe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard no such plans. Be awesome though, wouldn't it!

      Delete
  3. awesome coat, great find and thanks for the heads up re Chub Rebublic xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love clothes swaps. I've been to three now and love the feeling of handing my clothes over to someone who will love them all over and again and receiving items in the same way. Like you said, for many of us, staying ahead of trends/buy buy buy thins is just not sustainable.

    Great outfit lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sort of "buy buy buy" mentality doesn't benefit anyone in the long run.. we could all stand to be a bit more thoughtful about what we acquire I think :)

      I really love clothing swaps too.. so much fun and just an all-around awesome thing to do :)

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever seen such a gorgeous plus size coat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot more dress than coat, which is good, because I can wear it more :)

      Delete
  6. That coat is to die for! I love that your entire look is thrifted... you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I really can't resist an op-shop even though I don't find anything at least 90% of the time.. the occasional gems are totally worth it!

      Delete
  7. Love love love coat Omega! Great swaps indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I do a clothing swap I feel as though I have very much got the better of the bargain.. but it seems as though everyone who goes feels the same way :)

      Delete
  8. The coat, those boots, and pops of red, all stunning. You're one classy lady Omega. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you're a classy lady yourself! :)

      Delete
  9. Nice coat and dress :) Damn I just left Melbourne yesterday, would of been good to check you girls out. Maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in town, I'm sure there will be something on, it is Melbourne after all :)

      Delete