Aussie Curves: Texture


 This week's Aussie Curves theme is "Texture". Now there are lots of cool fabrics out there that have awesome textures. Some fabrics are nice for other people to look at, some fabrics are nice to wear, but there's one that tops my list for being both gorgeous on the eye, and gorgeous on the skin, and that is silk. I only have a few silk items in my wardrobe because they violate my "no ironing, ever!" rule.


I've decided to share a silk dress that I really love. I bought this on a discount rack many years ago from Jacquie E and it's made from this gorgeous shimmery silk satin. It has intricate beading on the hem and belt and it's an absolute dream to wear. Of course it being in my favourite colour might have been a deciding factor, too. I haven't worn this a lot, because it's a high maintenance and delicate garment, but it always makes an impression when I do!

I've styled it two ways here, one that could nominally be called a "daytime" look, if you're a goth inclined person like me, and a nighttime look that can only be described as, well.. let's say a bit sassy. This is a "third date" outfit, if that means anything to you, you're probably smiling right now! 


So for the "daytime" look, I have put a lace dress over the top - this is not a nasty scratchy lace but a lovely soft one, and the red underneath makes the pattern stand out really nicely. I put on a chunky necklace (that also covered up most of the dramatic cleavage I was displaying.  In both outfits I am wearing my cute and comfy wedges from Crocs.

I've kept things light and fresh for my "daytime" makeup look. A sweep of pink eyeshadow("Be my Valentine from Vani-T, some gold eyeliner and a slick of the new gold-flecked gloss from the Shu Uemura "Blossom" collection
.


To transition from daytime to nightime with my makeup, I added darker eyeliner (the denim pencil eyeliner from Vani-T) and dark lipstick (appropriately named "Vamp", also from Vani-T) and I darkened my eyeshadow by adding some "Russet Red" pigment to the pink.

To change up things up in my outfit, I've worn my knot necklace which emphasises rather than obscures the plunging neckline of this dress. With a dress like this, you really don't need a lot of other accessories - it's a statement piece all on it's own, so it's good just to keep everything else simple. A bit of volumiser in my hair, and darken up my makeup, and I am ready for an evening of fun.





This is not the sort of dress to put on if you want to blend in, and don't like lots of attention. I think all too often women, especially plus sized ones, are encouraged to try and minimise and diminish themselves, to not wear bright colours or provocative things, but, well, I'm sure you can guess what I think about that. Hiding your light under a bushel has never really been a concept that appeals to me very much. I'm not always in the mood to stand out this much, but when I am feeling super vampy, I let this dress out to play.

What do you wear when you're on the prowl?


Photobucket
Photobucket






11 comments

  1. Red is my favourite colour and this looks great on you! I hear what you are saying about high maintenance fabrics! "aint nobody got time for that!" I really like you with your hair down it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is one hot dress!! Looks great for both day and night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this on you and love the attitude too. We stand out anyway for being big. May as well stand out looking confident and sexy instead of for being frumpy. I wonder what your 16 year old friends would have said about this dress? I think you could call this flipping them the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is gorgeous and I love both ways you've styled it! I adore red... it's my safety colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing. Love the dress - everything about it is just WOW! As a non makeup wearer I'm loving your info on what and how you wear yours :) Thanks, loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a no ironing rule too! I can see why you broke it. This is gorgeous silk dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the dual looks! I particularly LOVE the hair out, sexy little number one. Very spunky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the dress and colour is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love how you've styled all the pieces together. It's really striking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is amazing - colour, style, beading. And both your daytime and evening looks work so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guh, amazing! I love how you've shown it worn two different ways! I'm surprised to say I like the daytime look more, I just LOVE the way the lace looks over the red, both look very sensual, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete