Aussie Curves: Androgyny


I knew when this theme came up I would only be able to do it with makeup. All the suits and male clothing in the world can't change my shape, it is undeniably female. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I happen to like it that way.

It means, no matter how hard I might try to look like a guy, there will always be a hint of androgyny about it..

I wielded brushes and did my very best to transform myself into someone who looked a bit more male than usual...

It's always interesting when you do makeup in a transformative way - I have been looking at myself in the mirror and I don't quite recognise myself. I am not sure if I like this look or not.. I think I achieved my aim but I find this new face troubling, not entirely pleasant.

I wonder if it is because we hear so much pressure around us to confirm to a certain gender's stereotypes. The ideas of gender in mainstream society are so rigid - you get lumped into one box or another at birth and then you're expect to comply with all sorts of things.

By refusing to conform with your assigned gender, you step out of bounds. It's an uncomfortable place to be, for me at least. It was interesting how much doing this made me think and feel.

I donned a singlet, a pair of suspenders and a fedora hat, and flipped my hair to make a fringe.

If you want to see how this transformation occurred from start to finish, then check out my video, linked below.

Of course if I was going to look like a guy, I also wanted to smell like one, so I took advantage of the opportunity to try out something that landed on my doorstep the other day - a set of Designer Imposters Men's Fragrance Deodorant Spray.

I tried "Macscolino" (It seemed appropriate) which is meant to be a copy of Giorgio Armani's Aqua Di Gio - one of my favourite men's perfumes. I have to say while it's not exactly the same it certianly hits some of the same notes, and at about $4 a can is certianly a more affordable indulgence than the real thing!

All in all this was an interesting experiment that inspired a lot of reflection on my part - mostly about how arbitary our ideas about gender really are.

It'd be fun to be a boy for a day, but I'm not sure I'd want it for much longer than that - I found myself eager to scrub this off and be "myself" again.

Sometimes it's fun to play outside your assigned gender box through, perhaps it's something we should all try a bit more often, maybe, just maybe we'd find those ridgid boxes really weren't so defining after all.

Be sure to check out the other Aussie Curves participants and their "Androgynous" looks below!



Photobucket

Photobucket





11 comments

  1. Gosh I wish I lived in Australia, just son I could participate in this link up. Awesome Pictures!!

    -Cheltee
    http://somethingaboutyounme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, I honestly didn't recognise you and almost zoomed on past in my news feed. Props for the awesome transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to call that a win then! :D

      Delete
  3. This is soooo cool Omega! Love what you've done and your take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie, it was an interesting experiment!

      Delete
  4. You look incredible Omega, love it! And interesting post about gender too. Perhaps a hint of a bovver boy in your look? ;P Love the website as on your t-shirt too... perhaps not for viewing on my work computer in my lunchbreak! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes Alison, definitely not one for work!!

      Delete
  5. Guh! You look amazing, the make up is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooooah! Well done lady, if not for the red hair I wouldn't have recognised you. Great post too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you are the makeup QUEEN!! you don't look like you at all!

    ReplyDelete