Aussie Curves: Sequins

Another theme in "home territory" for me - I do so love a bit of sparkle! Sequins are often thought of as a  modern embellishment - but the truth is they have been around for a long, long time, in one form or another.  Archaeologists have found solid gold sequins in the Indus Valley dating back to 2500 BC - now that's old school fashion!

Of course nowadays sequins are mostly made of plastic (though you do still see the metal ones from time to time) and they are the epitome of glitz, glamour.. every Diva must have her sparkly gown.
Sequins are designed to sparkle in the spotlight - they are there to attract attention. Plus sized people are often told to try and blend into the background with "flattering" outfits -you're often cautioned against drawing attention to yourself with anything shiny or sparkly - well, bollocks to that say I!! 

This might look like a sequin dress, but it's not - it's a cropped jacket/bolero from Crossroads paired with a sequin pencil skirt from Cult of California. You might remember me saying I was picking up a couple of items, and this one arrived just in time for the theme.. I was so thrilled to see it come in the post!

I've belted it with my City Chic jewelled belt, and paired it all up with my red Autograph riding boots.

There's something else awesome about this skirt.. it comes with built in shorts! No more "chub rub" problems, you could dance the night away in this and never worry about any nasty chafing. Such a clever addition, really makes the skirt special - it's also fully lined so there are no sequins scratching against your legs either. Comfort and Sparkle? Sign me up!! 



There's lots of gorgeous sequined stuff in the stores at the moment, here's some shiny goodies you might like:




Photobucket
Photobucket


10 comments

  1. I adore this look! you look wonderful and creative as always :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the skirt comes with built in shorts, but from the 'outside' it looks sleek and sexy and funky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh, i thought it was a dress! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! LOVE those Cult of California skirts, I've had them on the wish list for a while and never could justify them with such a homebody life that I live. But soon, one day, they'll be mine. Haha. You look great in this. Loving the boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the anti chub rub skirt. Never would have picked the concealed shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Chub Rub" - made my day, im totally coining that phrase ;)

    Looking fabulous from head to toe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! Love the fact in comes with built in shorts! I've been eyeing that skirt for a while, think that sealed the deal for me! Love this whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - how well matched are those sequin pieces. it really does look like a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. loving the built in shorts and the pops of red!

    ReplyDelete