Aussie Curves: Vulnerable Side






Interesting theme, this week - "Vulnerable Side". It's a strange one, to ask of a group of plus size women, especially those of us who blog . Here's the thing - when you are fat, and you put pictures of your body on the Internet, you're opening yourself up to a whole lot of criticism and outright hatred. 

There are people out there, who, without bothering to ask, assume that if you are a fashion blogger, you are inviting critique - that you're asking people to judge you. They have no hesitation dishing it out, either. 

In short - when you write a blog like this, you're demonstrating day after day that you're prepared to be vulnerable.  

When you're an "Inbetweenie" - someone who is plus sized and also can fit into some straight-sized stuff, like me, and you choose to blog about clothes and makeup, you cop it from both sides too - the straight-sized fashion bloggers criticize you for being fat. and the "radical fat activist bloggers" criticize you for not being radical enough, not being fat enough, and for daring to blog about clothes and makeup instead of what they see as the "real" issues. Not to mention as someone who's not "fat enough" you're taking well deserved attention away from those who feel they deserve it more. It's ugly out there, sometimes!! 

I can take the criticism, the torrent of hate - because my self esteem is pretty rock solid. It's been hard won and I have my shaky days like anyone - but there's nothing a stranger on the Internet can say to upset me any more, I've heard it all (no, trolls, that's not a challenge). It comes down to the old adage "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."


I have a pretty amazing life. I have incredible people in my life who love me, and accept me unconditionally - and when you have enough of that going on you don't really get too shaken up by what people who don't actually really know you choose to think about you. There's very few people on this planet who actually, really know me - and that's how I like it.


 More importantly - I like myself. Totally separate from the daily dose of love and validation I get from the people around me, I also am living a life in line with my own values. I look myself in the eyes in the mirror every morning and know I am doing the very best I can to be a good person -  I sleep well at night. 

Here's a small part of my support crew right here. 


These photos were taken on Father's Day - we had planned to go kayaking but high winds made that impossible, instead we just romped on the beach, soaking up the first taste of spring and the sea air. As you can probably tell I am not wearing a single scrap of makeup and the wind is playing havoc with my hair. Not glam at all, but truly, I don't care. 

I'm dressed for seaside adventure - my red Autograph windcheater, target jeans and sneakers (that I've doodled on with sharpies). We had so much fun, just enjoying the seaside and being dorky. Vulnerable? No, not really - more like strong.. strong as the sea.

Photobucket
Photobucket








15 comments

  1. Awesome! Love this. And so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome post! Love it and I'm with you about being an 'in-betweenie'. Sometimes I want to scream, "I just love clothes, fashion and dressing up, do I have to fit into a category or number? I'm just me!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Looks like you had a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. So well written and spot on. You look beautiful without make up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're gorgeous and I love your attitude. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Omega,as long as we stay authentic to ourselves damn what others think!
    You rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous post! Its so true, as a woman on the internet, you really do tend to open yourself up to all sorts of comments from all sorts of people, its like people think it's an open invitation to say what they want simply because you put yourself out there.
    These are such beautiful happy photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post!! You look so happy and free and content :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my fave post so far. Yes the whole blogging deal can be tired (I was really put off at fffw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people were downright nasty) but the world does make sense and the bullshit fades when you realise who and what is important . Yayurrrr you got that on lock girl!

      Delete
  10. I continue to love your posts. You stay true to you which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. people love to bring others down if they aren't happy.. just ignore the fools and be your fabulous self! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strong like the sea...like water. if you've ever watched memoirs of a geisha it has an opening that explains how water is strong. that it can form a path through anything. how water can wear away at rocks and form a river. like you omega. forming a path for those of us who arent yet strong enough. thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post lady! I had a similar thought in my way to publishing my post, about being online and being vulnerable and how that makes us strong. Thanks for sharing. I love these photos of your and your team. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You captured exactly how I feel about blogging - every post for me is a combination of pride and fear, that by putting myself out there I am allowing people to judge and basically insult me. From one inbetweenie to another - you look fab!

    ReplyDelete