H&M Melbourne Launch - H&M+ Plus Size Fashion Report


So, here in Melbourne the fashion world has been abuzz with the news of our iconic GPO being converted into a massive concept store for H&M. The store opened to the public today but on Thursday night there was a VIP launch party with 1000 guests - celebrities, models, socialites, the famous, the notorious and me! 



All of that was exciting, but what I was really interested in was the plus size range - H&M+. 

I wasn't sure what to expect - ideally they would have simply ranged up all their clothes into plus sizes and have them throughout the store (unlikely, but would be awesome) - I guess I was thinking there'd be a plus size section in a corner somewhere.

I didn't think I had my hopes up too high, but I have to be honest with you, when I actually found it, my heart sank a little.  It was tiny, much smaller than I was hoping, and worse, they had set up one of the main bar/service areas in front of it.

I took a quick video of the situation I was presented with which you can see here:



To actually look at and photograph the clothes I had to ask the bar staff to let me into their service area, which they were really nice about.

So the "plus size" range at H&M starts at a 14 (presumably because a fair quantity of their main range stops at a 12), and goes up to a pretty small looking 24. There are a lot of "oversized" pieces in the non-plus-size range that I could probably squeeze in to.. but I find myself less and less inclined to do that. I feel like I shouldn't be rewarding retailers who aren't supporting those of us who wear 14+ with my hard earned cash. 

I took some shots of some of the pieces I liked: 













I did a quick count and it looks as though there are about 30 lines in the plus size section. I got told that this is the largest plus size section of any H&M store in the world - so, that's good.. but if this is the biggest, what does the smallest look like? (Yes, that's right - it's just non-existent) 

There were some great pieces there, but nothing that I thought "WOW, I MUST HAVE THIS!" - there were probably at least 20 things I really, really liked in the non-plus-size range.. but we're all familiar with that sad feeling... "Why don't you make this for me? Look! Here is my money! Now, you won't have this money, because you only made this in small sizes. "

There was only one way to deal with my disappointment.. to drink many free cocktails and drown my sorrows.  Truly - It was an incredible party. The amazing cocktail bar 1806 had a special menu of cocktails and there were delicious canapés by Adam D’Sylva, they'd flown in famous DJs and everyone seemed to be having an utterly fabulous time. 

What did I buy? Not much, actually - but I did get this very silly hat - it's a woollen riding hat with kitty ears on it. 


I'm grateful to have been invited. I'm grateful that they have a plus size range at all, because many (many many) other brands don't. I'm glad the pieces look on-trend, are fairly affordable and that there's now another much-needed place to pop in and get a plus size garment in the CBD. I hope that if it's successful they will look at expanding this range in the future, and maybe (a girl can dream), expand the size range of their "main" ranges as well. 


Photobucket
Photobucket

10 comments

  1. That's really disappointing Omega. From the pictures you've shown as well nothing leaps out at me either. Back to Asos and City Chic then it would seem :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very conveniently located and is is a really beautiful store, it's worth a look when the crowds die down for sure.. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it to see what else they bring in there :)

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed that they don't appear to press anything... it all looks a bit rumpled and tired? Agree, nothing jumps out at me either. Hat looks great though :) Thanks for the report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it didn't appear to be the case throughout the store - I suspect because of the rush before launching "steam the clothes we're putting behind a bar" might have slipped off the list. I'll reserve judgement on that one for now :)

      Delete
  3. When I was living in the UK I was always down at H&M where my local shop had most pieces going up to a size 16. Weird that the main range stops at 12? Same story when I was at H&M in Sweden (their home country), generally the main range stopped at 14 - 16. Perhaps the 'new concept' of the store is to veer towards "high fashion" as opposed to realistic body size fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND! I also bought that same hat over there. haha ^-^

      Delete
    2. There are plenty of 14/16s as well through the store, but as the sales assistant explained it to me their more "fashion forward" ranges are targeted at younger people and therefore stop at a 12. (Yes, there's many things wrong with that statement, and I think this kind of justification is nonsense, but that is what she told me. )

      Delete
  4. So where was it in the store i went in today and couldn't find it, so many people i might wait a while for my next visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on the ground floor, to your right as you walk in the main doors on Bourke St Mall. It's not big, so easy to miss..

      Delete
  5. Amazing!! Nice Blog! I really like it. Keep sharing these articles for us.
    "http://www.couponstouch.com/store/rosewholesale/

    ReplyDelete